Yummy Pumpkin Soup
Recipe type: Soups
- 1 small Butternut Squash, or Pumpkin of choice
- 1 tsp ghee, melted
- ½ leek or 2 shallots or 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- 2 cm piece of fresh turmeric, finely grated (see note)
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp each cumin & mustard seeds (optional)
- ½ cup red lentils
- 1tbs ghee
- 1 cup water
- 1 tin coconut milk or 1 - 2 cups whey
- 1 tsp of good quality, unrefined salt
- 2 tbs pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 tbs fresh yoghurt (optional)
- Lime or lemon wedges
- Parsley or coriander, finely chopped
- Cut in half, scoop out seeds, brush with ghee and bake in the oven until soft.
- Melt ghee and if using seeds, fry gently until the begin to pop (Be careful not to let them burn).
- Add grated ginger, turmeric & leek, cook gently until softened.
- Add the lentils, coat completely with the spiced ghee and stir for 1 minute.
- Add water, cover and simmer gently until lentils are soft. Approx 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk or whey.
- Scoop the flesh from the roasted pumpkin and add to the lentils with the salt.
- Check the consistency and add more liquid if desired.
- Season to taste with some freshly ground black pepper.
- Puree to a smooth texture and spoon into bowls.
- Dry roast the pumpkin seeds until they begin to pop.
- Spoon a dollop of yoghurt into the bowl and top with a sprinkle of seeds and chopped herb.
- Add a squeeze of lemon or lime and sit down to enjoy!
- Note: If using turmeric powder, you add this to the soup with the coconut milk or whey.