Paneer - Indian Cottage Cheese
Recipe type: The Basics
- 2 litres Organic non-homogenised milk.
- Juice of 1 - 2 lemons or 1 –2 tsp Citric Acid.
- Bring the milk to a slow boil in a heavy based pot.
- Turn off the heat and slowly add the lemon juice or citric acid.
- Stir slowly and gently until the curds begin to form and the liquid turns to whey
- Strain the curds from the whey through muslin cloth or a cheese bag.
- Let the curd hang in muslin or suspended in a strainer over a bowl until it has set to a firm ball of cheese.
- Cheese can be used in soups, curries or on chapatti (Indian flat bread) with chutney and roast vegetables or as a side to any dish.
- Especially when cubed and fried in ghee. Yum!
- Don’t discard the whey as it makes a great stock for soups.
- Both curd and whey can be refrigerated for a week!