Recipe type: The Basics
- 1 cup Atta (flour)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 drops of oil
- Mix the water, milk and oil together in a saucepan and bring to the boil for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Place the flour in a bowl, add the hot liquid a little at a time, stirring to make a dough.
- Roll into small balls and then flatten slightly.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a board and rub a little on either side of the flattened dough
- Begin rolling out the ball into a flat round roti. Roll one direction only
- Heat tawa (flat pan) on stove top and place the chapatti onto the surface
- Fry for a while on one side until you see small bubbles appearing on the surface
- Flip over and cook on the other side as well.
- Slide onto a rack and hold over the flame to puff up.
- Enjoy with curry, pickle, vegetables or sauce!